Friday, March 12, 2010

Chinese Braid Embroidery/Goldwork Embroidery

I have been given a new name by friends - Turtle. I can't help being an anal perfectionist! I will accept the name.

One of the books our Goldwork Study Group is using is "Beginner's Guide to Goldwork" by Ruth Chamberlin. ISBN 0-85532-954-8 www.searchpressusa.com.  This is a fantastic book with tons of color photos and clear instructions.
Ms. Chamberlin is probably faster than I but she still had to spend a lifetime completing the embroideries in this book.

Back to my project.  My practice piece was done on a canvas stretcher frame but in the back of my mind, I remember having a frame like the one pictured on Page 27 of the Goldwork book. This sent me off on a 2 day search and when I finally found it, it is not sturdy enough for Goldwork. Sooooo, how hard can it be to make another? I did call around to see if I could find one ready made but to no avail.

After finding a board that would work, I cut the lengths, made a template for the holes and sent it off with my husband to drill the holes on his drill press.  Then I started searching for the twill tape used for attaching the cloth to the frame. Finally found some at a shop in New York, I probably should have searched for this first so it would be here by the time I needed it.  Local fabric shops aren't what they used to be.  In the mean time, I  sanded and finished my frame. The tape arrived.

Both tapes are attached now and I have moved on to preparing the linen to stretch. Hopefully, one day I will get down to embroidering. I am warming up to my new name.

No comments: