Wednesday, August 31, 2011

P2P2

The "Big Reveal"! I love it, I have never participated in an internet share group before and it was great fun.  I liked how some weavers were quite and some blogged about everything. I liked how the deadline was right around the corner when we started and I am anxious to see everyones work.

My Big Reveal:

 This is the photo I chose as my inspiration. It is a Rome street photo sent to me by Holly. I like using photos and magazine pictures for color inspiration, for a while I was using every Martha Stewart Living Magazine cover for a series of weavings because she uses a lot of pinks.
 This photo is far from my normal color range but I enjoyed weaving it just the same.
  I very seldom do anything but plain weave. There I've said it, 30 years of plain weave.  I like weaving with many colors and the fun is in the designing not the weaving. I shouldn't even call myself a weaver.
 On this piece I tried to vary my beat to give the effect of cobblestones and all it did was look like bad weaving. Oh well, when it's made into a vest I will know they are cobblestones.

 This shot is of the whole cloth. In the grey part I used 6 shades of grey, using 20/2 silk 3 strands used as one. I like to keep switching out colors as I measure.

 There will be braids and piping trim and I will post as I go if anyone is interested in seeing the final results. I was going to try to finish the whole project but sadly work got in the way.

I hope Esmae had as much fun with my photos as I did with Holly's and we can all get together again next year.

8 comments:

Holly said...

I loved that you picked a photo that I actually took myself :-). And I love your interpretation of the motorcycle/streetscape.

Anonymous said...

That would look so classy, driving about on a motorbike in Rome! Very urban, very chic, and they look like cobbles to me...

Peg Cherre said...

I think you did a great job of capturing the colors of the photos. And OF COURSE you're a weaver! I think playing with color and texture in plain weave is a bold decision - I'm too scattered and like a little monkey, have to follow every path my brain takes.

c u r i o u s w e a v e r said...

I really like how you chose a street scene to work with. I'm always disappointed that we don't use these types of images more as we are surrounded by them and they feature more in our lives that the exquisite flower- unfortunately perhaps. I need to find some beauty in even the street and you've achieved it. Lovely work and approach.

sampling said...

I really like your interpretation and love the piece! I want to touch it.....

saoriweaver said...

I love your interpretation - really has the feel of the photo!

Meg said...

You will show us when you finish the garment?

WeavingTrails.blogspot.com said...

I will continue posting as I plug along. I don't have a sloper or pattern for the person I am making this for so it will be a long drawn out affair but what else is new?!?